Three campuses and more than 59,000 students -- 1,500 student organizations -- 616 major buildings -- more than 12 million library volumes -- and one great fight song.
U-M PROFILE DATA
In 1817, the University of Michigan was established in Detroit and became the first public university in the Northwest Territories. A grant of 1,920 acres from three Great Lakes Indian nations was earmarked for the nascent institution. In 1837, the same year in which Michigan became a state, the University relocated to Ann Arbor to take advantage of an offer by local entrepreneurs of 40 acres of land at the edge of town. The acreage ceded by the Indians was sold, and the proceeds remain part of the University’s permanent endowment.
The University of Michigan-Flint opened in 1956 with a gift from the Mott Foundation. The University of Michigan-Dearborn followed in 1958 on the land of the Henry Ford Estate, a gift of the Ford Motor Company.
Campus locations: Ann Arbor, Dearborn, Flint
Schools and colleges: Ann Arbor, 19; Dearborn, 4; Flint, 5
Total enrollment, Fall 2011: 59,933
Instructional staff, all campuses, Fall 2010 (includes graduate student instructors): 8,791
More profile data is available in the Michigan Almanac on the Budget and Planning website.